Friday, June 09, 2006

The one that didn't get away

Back at the cottage, we had sandwiches prepared (once again) by Dave, who really knows how to do it right. Then we hung around for a while, watched some shows Dave had downloaded onto his iPod, and then decided to go fishing! We caught some serious fish, and it was just too bad that we didn't have a boat... or good poles... or fishing licenses, for that matter! We also did not have any bait, bobbers, or sinkers. By the time I went back to the store for the third time for more equipment, I think the guy there thought we were crazy. Next time we will definitely bring our own poles, tackle boxes and folding chairs.

We have tentatively decided to make fishing a part of the next long weekend, since we had such a good time. The pictures here don't really do it justice... Rob and I caught the most fish, but they were generally small. Then Rolfe caught a whopper with a kiddy pole and a very small hook. Dave caught a nice one too. I had to remove most of the fish Rolfe caught from the hook, since he didn't like handling the fish. In fact, in the photos below, the big fish Rob is holding is the one that Rolfe caught!


The boys proudly displaying part of their catch. It appears that we fish better than we golf.


The lunker Rolfe caught. It measured 17" and put up a nice fight. At first, the rest of us were sure he had caught a bunch of weeds, until it broke water and we could see the pole bend. A kid just down a few hundred feet from us pulled in a big catfish at about the same time, so obviously the lake holds some big fish!


Notice that Rolfe is using the kiddy pole. Scoff at it if you like, but it brought in the biggest fish of the night and one of the nicest bass I have seen in a couple of years.


Rob holds up another nice-sized bass. The water was so clear, we could see them hit the lures. We also saw what we think was a carp that must have measured at least three feet long.


I hold up one of the many small fish we caught. If I hadn't spent all my time untangling lines and playing Dad to Rolfe by taking his fish off and baiting his hook, I might have actually had time to land something more substantial!


A quiet, still night on Stony Lake. It truly doesn't get much better than this.


Tomorrow's entry: Benona, round 2!

1 comment:

dave said...

Once again, Eric does a great job!