Saturday, May 30, 2009

Tuurrible first day

Well, the first round of the tournament is over. We shot 57, with our only 3 birdies coming back-to-back-to-back on #12 (Eric's 8-iron to the middle of the green and Rob's putt), #13 (Dave with an amazing chip-in) and #14 (Rob's drive, Rolfe's second shot, and Dave's putt). We were grinding on almost every other hole, despite a lack of wind or rain.

Other memorable moments:

  • Rob's awesome tee shot on #4 (which we did not capitalize on)
  • Completely missing the green as a group on #'s 5, 8, 11, 13, and 15
  • Dave's snap onto the deck of the Par Five restaurant, where it came to rest after bouncing about 10 times off the building
  • Dave redeeming himself with a terrific tee shot on #18, which again we failed to take advantage of

    Now, it's off to my brother-in-law's wedding which is going to be a 7-8 hour round-trip not counting the ceremony and reception. (Note to self #3: picking the Benona weekend for his wedding day and costing me 12+ hours of golf/fishing/drinking/euchre virtually *guarantees* that my brother-in-law will never be a sub for one of us should the need arise, despite his skill.) So I'm getting a 12-hour intermission from relaxation and fun. Meanwhile, while I'm driving alone back and forth across the state to be my wife's date to a wedding, the other guys are napping, watching movies, laughing, eating, drinking, fishing and basically having ten million times more fun than I will be.

    More later... I am driving back tonight and hoping to get back before midnight so I can have a beer or two and get 5 hours of sleep before we play again, and then I have to repeat the same road trip a second time!

    Eric

  • No comments: